Breezes, Butterflies, and Lake Days: Finding Calm in the Shift to Fall
There is a distinct shift that happens right around Labor Day. We call it the "unofficial end of summer," and yet, it always seems to catch us by surprise, in a good way. A relief from the 100 degrees.
| Labor Day Weekend Photo by Peggy Steed |
Just this past weekend, the lake was alive with energy, warmth, and the laughter of family. The water felt perfect, the sun was bright, and for a moment, it felt like summer might just stretch on forever.
But as the weekend
winds down, you can feel it. A subtle change in the breeze. A slight crispness
in the early morning air. The light hits the water differently now, casting
longer, softer shadows. Fall is coming.
Living right in the
heavy migration path for hummingbirds and Monarch butterflies, I usually spend
this time of year thinking about grand journeys. In fact, looking back at my
photos this morning, I smiled, reminding myself of a gorgeous Monarch picture I
took outside the Keller Williams office last year—a traveler pausing briefly
before its long flight south.
Yesterday, though, I caught a different kind of quiet moment right on my own porch. I took a picture of a beautiful butterfly clinging to my front door. It had found the tiny gap in our worn-out weatherstripping, hovering there as if to catch a tiny breath of cool air sneaking out from inside.
![]() |
| A Tawny Emperor at my front door. Photo by Peggy Steed |
I originally thought it was a Monarch, but after a little checking, I discovered it was actually a Tawny Emperor. Unlike the Monarchs, Tawny Emperors don’t fly south for the winter. They stay right here. They adapt, see the season through, and make this place their permanent home.
In life, just like in nature, seasons change
whether we are ready for them or not. Sometimes we find ourselves like the
Monarch—called to pack up, move on, and brave a massive shift.
Other times, we are
like that Tawny Emperor, clinging to the edge of comfort, learning to adapt to
the changing environment right where our feet are planted.
Being the kind of person that loves being part of a community, I am definitely more like the Tawny Emperor. Although moving here from California makes me think I also have a bit of the Monarch in me. I always loved the Monarchs in California, and knowing they come here to visit makes me feel more at home. Especially now as I get older.
![]() |
| A Monarch at the KW Grand Lake office. Photo by Peggy Steed. |
Nature never rushes,
and it never resists. Whether your next season requires you to spread your
wings for a major journey or simply to dig your roots a little deeper and find
calm right at home, there is a beautiful purpose in both.
The world keeps
turning, and every new season brings its own quiet magic, waiting just around
the corner. I think it’s time for tired ol me to stay here in this paradise and
watch my little monarchs grow and prosper.
I hope your Labor
Day weekend was a good one. I’m ready for cooler breezes now, some rain, and
football! Goodbye Summer 2026.
Take care! Until next read…
A special thank you to Redeemed Digital for lending their incredible expertise to help me bring this space to life. If you need [their service], please support them—they are a true asset to our community! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61577762971978




Comments
Post a Comment