A Couple Hours without a Cell Phone

I was abandoned at Chickenellas. The dispatcher said there was a possible structure fire near Grove Middle School. Roman (my husband and Captain at Grove Fire Department) said he thought dispatch said a barn, and I am sure I heard visible flames and smoke showing. Either way, off he goes.

So here I sit with no phone. I left it at home (which I never do) and I realized I don’t know phone numbers by heart anymore. I am in this adorable restaurant with some sweet tea. I ate my breakfast (banana pancakes – the best north of Mexico in my opinion) and packed Roman’s in a to-go box. 

I sip more tea and realize I am a little nervous about not having my phone so I think back on times when cell phones were something futuristic.

Peeking out the window and I can see visible smoke coming from the direction of the school, so I settle in and talk to Debbie (the owner of Chickenellas) and the girls. They tell me it’s fine to hang out and refresh my tea.

Again, a quick surge of anxiety runs through me because I don’t have my phone. Trying to keep myself occupied I get up to pay our bill and look out the window to see how the fire is doing. Looks to be the same as before, and I hear some sirens go by. 

I guess I am really stuck here for a while. 

I ask one of the girls if I can borrow some paper and grab a pen from my purse and start writing…yes writing. With a pen and paper.

As I start writing this I feel the anxiety ease. Might as well stop worrying because there is nothing else I can do about my situation. Unless I want to start walking home. But if I start walking, Roman won’t know I am walking and can’t pick me up on my way home, because I don’t have a phone to tell him.

More sirens go by. My neck relaxes a little more as I sit and write. 

I do know my Dad’s landline. It’s probably the only number I know in Oklahoma. Wait, I think I know my mother-in-law’s... 918-787-1234 or is it 786? I’m not sure. Our kids all have phones, but they’ve change their numbers, so I don’t have a clue how to reach them.

I am MIA. Only Roman knows where I am. It’s not so bad now. About 30 minutes have gone by and I am starting to relax more. I hope Roman’s all right. Deep breath!

“Let yourself relax,” I tell myself.

When was the last time I just sat and stared out a window?  The sky is so blue today. What a contrast the brown leafless branches make against the deep blue water.

Business is hopping here! All the tables are taken, and people keep coming in. Some are outside on the porch waiting for a free table.  They ask me to move to the big table they reserve for big groups. It’s so good to see our small businesses at the lake thrive and do well especially in January. 

The sun is shining but it is still brisk and wintery outside. I wonder how many of the people here full-timers are and how many are weekenders or visitors.

I notice that the more words I write, the more my cursive comes out. If I left this on the table, how many people would be able to read it? Probably all the people my age and older. I think most kids my kid’s ages can read cursive.  My kids had to learn and practice it in elementary school. I doubt they could write it though.

It’s weird the things that run through your head when you have time to think. Really think. No phone, no electronics, no interruptions. No looking at Social Media or email. No one to call or text.
Just a pen, a piece of paper, a view of the lake and some friendly people to chat with.

Life is good here. Life is very good. 
Enjoy it!
Peggy

P.S. Thank you to the very nice couple that drove me to the fire station and the fire was an old barn. No injuries.

Peggy Kiefer-Steed
925-858-4723
peggykief@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marcie and Bracklen - an inspiration and proof that most people are good!

Gray Hairs & Love

What do you want for Grove?